New York Rapist Targets Lesbians
BY Jase Peeples
June 20 2013 1:24 PM ET
A rapist in the neighborhood of Greenpoint in Brooklyn, N.Y., has begun targeting lesbians, reports The Brooklyn Paper.
On Sunday, a woman who was walking down the street shortly after midnight was raped at knifepoint by an attacker who reportedly told her, “I’m doing this to you because you’re gay.”
Though police are searching for the rapist, no arrests have yet been made.
The attack is the latest in a string of hate crimes that have been committed in New York City this year.
In February, a 23-year-old gay man and his boyfriend were physically and verbally assaulted on a New York City subway a group of six people while a crowd of bystanders did nothing to intervene.
In May, several gay men were attacked in a number of separate incidents, including the murder of 32-year-old Mark Carson, who was shot in the face in New York City’s Greenwich Village after he was subjected to a barrage of homophobic slurs.
In the same month, reports confirmed the number of antigay hate crimes in New York so far this year is doubled the number from the same period in 2012.
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: George Takei Parodies TLC's My Husband’s Not Gay
- Madonna's 12 Studio Albums Ranked
- Alabama Probate Judges Association: We 'Cannot Legally' Issue Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Skewers Bobby Jindal Prayer Rally