Cops Arrest Second Suspect in Trans Woman's Hollywood Beating
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 24 2013 7:46 PM ET
Officers with the Los Angeles Police Department have arrested a second suspect in connection with a vicious beating in May that left a transgender woman with a broken jaw, shattered cheekbone, and two cracked ribs.
Los Angeles CBS affiliate KCAL reports that officers aren't releasing information about the newly arrested suspect, but noted that the authorities planned to do so at a press conference Thursday.
Vivian Diego, a 22-year-old transgender woman, was walking toward the Metro transit station on Hollywood Boulevard at about 2:30 a.m. on May 31 when a group of four men jumped her and began punching and kicking her, Diego says. Diego spent a week in the hospital after the attack, and her mouth was wired shut while she recovered.
Police offered a $65,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the four suspected men involved in the attack, and arrested Nicol Shakhnazaryan, 21, of Los Angeles, in June. Shakhnazaryan pleaded not guilty to charges of battery with serious bodily injury, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury, and a special charge of great bodily injury, according to KCAL.
Watch KCAL's report below:
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 28 min 1 sec ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 33 min 41 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 1 hour 34 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 1 hour 48 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 9 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM