Cops Arrest Second Suspect in Trans Woman's Hollywood Beating
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 24 2013 6:46 PM ET
Officers with the Los Angeles Police Department have arrested a second suspect in connection with a vicious beating in May that left a transgender woman with a broken jaw, shattered cheekbone, and two cracked ribs.
Los Angeles CBS affiliate KCAL reports that officers aren't releasing information about the newly arrested suspect, but noted that the authorities planned to do so at a press conference Thursday.
Vivian Diego, a 22-year-old transgender woman, was walking toward the Metro transit station on Hollywood Boulevard at about 2:30 a.m. on May 31 when a group of four men jumped her and began punching and kicking her, Diego says. Diego spent a week in the hospital after the attack, and her mouth was wired shut while she recovered.
Police offered a $65,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the four suspected men involved in the attack, and arrested Nicol Shakhnazaryan, 21, of Los Angeles, in June. Shakhnazaryan pleaded not guilty to charges of battery with serious bodily injury, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury, and a special charge of great bodily injury, according to KCAL.
Watch KCAL's report below:
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM