Study Asks Gay Men: Would You Die Earlier for the Perfect Bod?
BY Winston Gieseke
January 06 2012 3:10 PM ET
What would you sacrifice in order to have your ideal body? Would you give up part of your life?
A new U.K.-based study commissioned by Central YMCA, the Succeed Foundation, and the Centre for Appearance Research at UWE Bristol looked at the way men viewed and discussed their bodies.
PinkNewsreports that 48% of gay men said they would give up a year or more of their lives in exchange for a perfect body, while 10% of them said they would be willing to die more than 11 years ahead of schedule if said body could be had immediately.
Of the straight men surveyed, however, only one third said they would willingly lose a year for the perfect bod.
Overall, according to PinkNews, “Gay respondents were consistently more affected by body concerns and more likely to make body comparisons than straight men.”
“Today gay men are under enormous pressure about their bodies,” said Rosi Prescott, CEO of Central YMCA, “and we believe that a lack of body diversity in the media, including the gay press, and a relentless focus which values people based on appearance, may in part explain why gay men are particularly susceptible to this issue.”
The study surveyed 394 men in late 2011.
Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM