BY Frank Spinelli, M D
October 29 2009 10:00 AM ET
Many people forget that developing sexually transmitted disease such as Gonorrhea, Herpes, or Chlamydia significantly increases your chances of contracting HIV because it can create open sore or weaken your immune system. So you must always be vigilant about getting tested, regardless of whether or not you feel that you are at risk.
If you are already positive, then it is vitally important that you avoid contracting other STDs because they can lead to painful and expensive complications that can increase the progression of the virus in your body.
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- Op-ed: What I Learned From My High School's Gay English Teacher
- WATCH: Daily Show Correspondent Takes on Antigay Ark. Pastor
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series