BY Frank Spinelli, M D
October 29 2009 10:00 AM ET
Many people forget that developing sexually transmitted disease such as Gonorrhea, Herpes, or Chlamydia significantly increases your chances of contracting HIV because it can create open sore or weaken your immune system. So you must always be vigilant about getting tested, regardless of whether or not you feel that you are at risk.
If you are already positive, then it is vitally important that you avoid contracting other STDs because they can lead to painful and expensive complications that can increase the progression of the virus in your body.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community