Report: Unsafe sex has doubled among Australian gays
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 22 2002 11:00 PM ET
A government report issued this week in Australia shows that the number of gay men in Australia having unprotected sex has doubled during the last four years, prompting government officials to begin considering plans for a renewed safer-sex campaign aimed at gay and bisexual men. The report, titled "Annual Report of Behaviour 2002" and compiled by the National Centre in HIV Social Research, also showed that the rate of HIV infection has remained steady among gay and bisexual men in Australia during the past four years, that the number of cases of most other sexually transmitted diseases among gay men has increased, and that for the first time in five years new hepatitis C infections among men who have sex with men decreased in 2001.
Health officials say the increase in unsafe sex is due to more gay men not using condoms because they are assuming that their sex partners are HIV-negative and a false sense that currently available anti-HIV drugs can forever keep HIV infection in check. The report calls for more government prevention programs that encourage gay men to use condoms during sex to protect themselves from HIV, hepatitis, gonorrhea, syphilis, and other STDs.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: Sportscaster Denies Calling Kansas Jayhawks 'Gayhawks'
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Parenting Forum Shows Key Role of Parents in Winning Rights for Gays and Lesbians in China 0 sec ago
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 41 min 12 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Real-Life Girlfriends Bria & Chrissy on '10 Things Lesbians Do on Saturdays' 43 min 27 sec ago
- Travel Stockholm Pride Sent an FU to Putin 54 min 49 sec ago
- Sports WATCH: Sportscaster Denies Calling Kansas Jayhawks 'Gayhawks' 1 hour 25 min ago
- Music 6 New Christmas Albums To Get You In the Holiday Mood 1 hour 52 min ago
- Film George Takei Documentary to Premiere at Sundance 1 hour 53 min ago