AIDS Walk Colorado donations decline
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 28 2002 12:00 AM ET
Organizers for AIDS Walk Colorado, held in Denver on Sunday, say this year's event drew fewer participants than previous walks and that returns are expected to be well below the $880,000 brought in last year, The Denver Post reports. The walk, which benefits the Colorado AIDS Project, attracted about 7,500 participants, down from 12,000 people at the 2001 walk. Final financial figures won't be available for several weeks, but walk organizers say they anticipate donations to be off by as much as 40% from 2001 figures.
"We are going to feel the impact of this for the next 12 months," said Jacqueline Long, a spokeswoman for the Colorado AIDS Project. She said that the declining participation in the annual fund-raiser--as well as other AIDS walks across the country--is due primarily to a diminished sense of urgency about AIDS. "There is a misconception in this country that AIDS is cured or is something you can live with," she said. "That is simply not true."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 54 min 32 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 49 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 2 hours 6 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 29 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM