Long-term HIV treatment interruptions may be safe for some patients
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 31 2002 12:00 AM ET
Northwestern University researchers say that some HIV-positive patients can safely interrupt anti-HIV drug therapy for an extended period of time and then resume treatment with little detrimental effect, AIDS Weekly reports. A study of 25 HIV-positive people who maintained viral suppression for at least six months while on antiretroviral therapy showed that an average treatment interruption of nine months resulted in no AIDS-related infections or illnesses. T-cell counts did drop and HIV viral loads increased during the treatment breaks. But when drug treatment was resumed in 11 of the patients, viral levels again became undetectable, and T-cell counts began climbing.
"We were surprised that so many patients were able to remain off their therapy for so long a period," said lead researcher Chad Achenbach. "Extended treatment interruption appears safe and, after further study, may be an important HIV treatment strategy for the reduction of long-term toxicity, medication burden, and expense."
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 6 min 17 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 41 min 53 sec ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 44 min 3 sec ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 1 hour 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 1 hour 42 min ago
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM