Experts say faster HIV tests may hurt behavior-change counseling
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 25 2002 12:00 AM ET
Some AIDS experts worry that a new HIV antibody test that can provide results in 20 minutes--a test that is expected to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration by the end of the month--may actually hamper behavior-change counseling, the Denver Post reports. Critics of the fast test say that many people benefit from a days-long wait for test results because it gives them a chance to talk to HIV counselors and to reconsider their behaviors that put them at risk for infection. A 1999-2001 study at the Denver Health Medical Center also found that people who underwent rapid HIV testing were 12% more likely to later contract a sexually transmitted disease than those who took standard HIV antibody tests.
Proponents of the tests say that rapid HIV antibody testing will allow health workers to reach more at-risk people, including sex workers and gay men visiting sex clubs and bathhouses. Quicker results also may help reduce the proportion of patients, currently about 30%, who never return for their test results.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 37 min 4 sec ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 2 hours 30 min ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail June 19 2013 6:20 PM