HIV-positive people are not included in new national smallpox campaign
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 14 2002 1:00 AM ET
President Bush on Friday announced a new program that will make the smallpox vaccine available to the vast majority of Americans, beginning with the military and health workers who would be front-line defenders against a bioterror attack. But HIV-positive people as well as those who have cancer, who have received organ transplants, who are pregnant, or who have a history of eczema will not be given the vaccine because they are prone to suffer vaccine-related side effects that in rare cases can be fatal. People who live with others suffering from these ailments also will not be vaccinated because it is possible to transfer the virus from the inoculation site on the skin to other people. The first smallpox vaccines for medical personnel are expected to be available in January. The public will be offered the vaccine on a voluntary basis as soon as large stockpiles are obtained, which is likely in early 2004. A massive public health educational campaign about smallpox and smallpox vaccinations is also slated to begin next year.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 29 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 1 hour 31 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 1 hour 35 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 1 hour 57 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 29 sec ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 5:39 PM