Head of ACT UP's Cleveland chapter dies
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 11 2003 1:00 AM ET
Joe Carroccio, the openly gay leader of the Cleveland chapter of ACT UP for the past decade, died January 3 at University Hospitals of Cleveland in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, The [Cleveland] Plain Dealer reports. He was 45. Carroccio died of heart failure due to complications from hepatitis and cirrhosis. He also was HIV-positive and had progressed to an AIDS diagnosis. Carroccio cofounded the Cleveland chapter of ACT UP and helped plan the city's first World AIDS Day events in 1993. He also was active with the Living Room HIV/AIDS drop-in center (a counseling service of the Lesbian-Gay Community Service Center of Greater Cleveland) and chaired the AIDS Clinical Trial Unit's Community Advisory Board at University Hospitals.
"I was so impressed with Joe's commitment, passion, energy," said Earl Pike, executive director of the AIDS Taskforce of Greater Cleveland. "He always had fabulous ideas and a keen sense of what needed to be tackled. I always loved Joe's slightly manic style. He was a working-class intellectual, one of those people who knew as much as his physician about treatment and understood the issues--like the fact that not providing clean syringes to drug users was tantamount to a kind of genocide."
A memorial service is planned for February. Carroccio is survived by his partner, James Campbell, his parents, and two brothers.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- A Letter to My Partners
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 21 min 55 sec ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 24 min 36 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 27 min 41 sec ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 1 hour 58 min ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 2 hours 1 min ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 2 hours 27 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 2 hours 30 min ago