Massachusetts launches syphilis prevention campaign for gay men
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 06 2003 12:00 AM ET
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health has launched a new syphilis testing and prevention campaign targeting gay and bisexual men in response to rising infection rates among men who have sex with men, Bay Windows reports. Throughout May and June, vouchers will be handed out at gay bars, through HIV/AIDS service organizations, and at gay pride events for free syphilis screenings and treatment at designated health centers across the state. Educational materials about syphilis and syphilis prevention also will be distributed. "Basically it's sort of health insurance for the next two months for your sexual health," said John Vincent, HIV prevention specialist at Boston's AIDS Action Committee, of the vouchers.
Kevin Cranston, deputy commissioner for the health department, says the primary goals of the campaign are to identify gay and bisexual men who are infected with syphilis and to raise awareness in the community that the STD is becoming more commonplace. "First and foremost, we want men to be aware that this organism is back in circulation again," he said. "We want men to think seriously about getting screened for syphilis. We want clinicians to ask their patients if they want to be screened for syphilis. We want to eliminate, yet again, syphilis from the gay male population."
New syphilis cases have risen in Massachusetts from 97 in 1999 to 197 in 2002, with more than 60% of the infections reported among gay and bisexual men. About half of all the men who have sex with men diagnosed with new syphilis infections also are coinfected with HIV. Health officials worry about syphilis-HIV coinfections because the syphilis sores associated with the first stages of the disease can make HIV transmission much easier.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 50 min 51 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 1 hour 30 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 1 hour 36 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1 hour 59 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 2 hours 8 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 2 hours 15 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 2 hours 57 min ago