AIDS activists protest New York City's budget
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 15 2003 11:00 PM ET
AIDS activists in New York held a rally Wednesday outside City Hall to protest Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposed city budget, which includes cuts of millions of dollars from various programs for HIV-positive New Yorkers, Newsday reports. Dozens of protesters participated in the rally, holding signs and chanting, "Bloomberg, billionaire. People with AIDS, he don't care." Thirty protesters were arrested.
Bloomberg's proposed fiscal 2003 budget includes more than $18 million in cuts to the city's HIV/AIDS Services Administration, which would affect case management services for 30,000 HIV-positive people and would cut AIDS housing support by 10%. Activists say the proposed budget cuts will lead to more HIV-positive people in the city becoming homeless and could force some people out of case management programs.
Joe Pressley, executive director of the New York AIDS Coalition, is particularly worried about the changes to the case management programs, which he says Bloomberg initially promised would not be affected by budget cuts. "The mayor basically lied to our community," he said. "We're not going to take these changes lying down."
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit December 09 2013 9:41 PM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM