AIDS activists protest New York City's budget
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 15 2003 11:00 PM ET
AIDS activists in New York held a rally Wednesday outside City Hall to protest Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposed city budget, which includes cuts of millions of dollars from various programs for HIV-positive New Yorkers, Newsday reports. Dozens of protesters participated in the rally, holding signs and chanting, "Bloomberg, billionaire. People with AIDS, he don't care." Thirty protesters were arrested.
Bloomberg's proposed fiscal 2003 budget includes more than $18 million in cuts to the city's HIV/AIDS Services Administration, which would affect case management services for 30,000 HIV-positive people and would cut AIDS housing support by 10%. Activists say the proposed budget cuts will lead to more HIV-positive people in the city becoming homeless and could force some people out of case management programs.
Joe Pressley, executive director of the New York AIDS Coalition, is particularly worried about the changes to the case management programs, which he says Bloomberg initially promised would not be affected by budget cuts. "The mayor basically lied to our community," he said. "We're not going to take these changes lying down."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 1 hour 30 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM