HHS releases updated HIV treatment guidelines
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 15 2003 11:00 PM ET
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released revised guidelines on Monday for the treatment of HIV-positive adults and adolescents with the goal of making it easier for doctors and patients to choose an appropriate anti-HIV drug regimen. Previous versions of the guidelines listed anti-HIV drugs in two columns and recommended that doctors pick one drug from the first column and combine that with a choice from the second column, which typically grouped drugs together in pairs. However, with 22 single and combination medications now available, health experts believed the column format was too confusing and opted instead to list "preferred" and "alternative" drug combinations.
"These revised guidelines help simplify the process by which caregivers and patients chart a course of therapy, whether they are receiving antiretroviral treatment for the first time or are treatment-experienced and contemplating a change in drug regimen," said Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
The updated guidelines can be seen online at www.aidsinfo.nih.gov.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM