HHS releases updated HIV treatment guidelines
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 16 2003 12:00 AM ET
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released revised guidelines on Monday for the treatment of HIV-positive adults and adolescents with the goal of making it easier for doctors and patients to choose an appropriate anti-HIV drug regimen. Previous versions of the guidelines listed anti-HIV drugs in two columns and recommended that doctors pick one drug from the first column and combine that with a choice from the second column, which typically grouped drugs together in pairs. However, with 22 single and combination medications now available, health experts believed the column format was too confusing and opted instead to list "preferred" and "alternative" drug combinations.
"These revised guidelines help simplify the process by which caregivers and patients chart a course of therapy, whether they are receiving antiretroviral treatment for the first time or are treatment-experienced and contemplating a change in drug regimen," said Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
The updated guidelines can be seen online at www.aidsinfo.nih.gov.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 21 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 2 hours 57 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM