Magic Johnson's Wife in Public Eye on HIV Campaign
July 08 2008 12:00 AM ET
normally publicity-shy wife, Cookie, is emerging as a
spokeswoman in a campaign urging black women to get tested
Cookie Johnson is
appearing with the former Los Angeles Lakers star in a
five-year, $60 million public service campaign with ads
directed by moviemaker Spike Lee.
She was two
months' pregnant when her husband tested positive for HIV in
The Henry J.
Kaiser Foundation says almost a third of cases diagnosed
among blacks in 2006 were women, double the rate for white
who tested negative for the virus, says part of the black
population still has the attitude that "it can't happen
to me." (AP)
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban