Magic Johnson's Wife in Public Eye on HIV Campaign
July 08 2008 12:00 AM ET
normally publicity-shy wife, Cookie, is emerging as a
spokeswoman in a campaign urging black women to get tested
Cookie Johnson is
appearing with the former Los Angeles Lakers star in a
five-year, $60 million public service campaign with ads
directed by moviemaker Spike Lee.
She was two
months' pregnant when her husband tested positive for HIV in
The Henry J.
Kaiser Foundation says almost a third of cases diagnosed
among blacks in 2006 were women, double the rate for white
who tested negative for the virus, says part of the black
population still has the attitude that "it can't happen
to me." (AP)
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Is It Time for These Indiana Events to Relocate?