Lesbian Doctor Is New Canadian Medical Association President
BY Trudy Ring
August 26 2012 3:10 PM ET
Canada’s largest physicians’ association got a new president this month — Anna Reid, MD, the first openly gay person to hold that post.
Reid was officially introduced as the 76,000-member Canadian Medical Association’s president August 15 at the group’s national convention in Yellowknife, the city in Canada’s Northwest Territories where she practices as an emergency room doctor. She will serve as president for a year.
In her inaugural address to the CMA, she emphasized the need for patient-centric care, for better service to the nation’s aboriginal people, and for doctors to work collaboratively, radio station CJCD reports.
In a subsequent interview with Toronto’s Globe and Mail newspaper, she elaborated on the need to address health care inequalities that exist even in Canada, which has national coverage. “Our public system is covering just part of what needs to be covered,” she said. Also, services vary around the nation, she said. She noted that she treats many aboriginal patients, adding, “I want to advocate for the marginalized.”
Reid is the CMA’s first president from the Northwest Territories and is only the sixth woman to head the group. “Being a woman has never stood in the way of my doing anything and neither has being lesbian,” she told the Globe and Mail.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Politics | Advocate.com
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM