WATCH: How Has Marriage Equality Affected Gay Dating?
BY Justin Hernandez
March 17 2014 6:15 PM ET
How has the conversation around marriage equality helped or hurt same-sex relationships? That’s the question YourTango.com addressed on The Experts, a panel discussion that featured four matchmakers and dating coaches from various gay and lesbian dating websites.
The group explored different thought processes regarding marriage and addressed how they impact gay and lesbian couples — including the benefits of the legal recognition provided by marriage as well as the financial and emotional impact of divorce. The Experts also noted that the advent of marriage equality has intiated a dialogue between same-sex couples as they examine whether or not they want a formal legal union within their relationships.
The panel consisted of Melanie Gorman, MA (senior vice president, YourTango Experts), J. Cameron Gantt (Insta(Gay)tor), Mary Malia (Gay Girl Dating Coach), Rick Clemons (The Gay Man's Life Coach), and Frankie Bashan, Psy.D. (Little Gay Book).
Watch the full discussion below.
JUSTIN HERNANDEZ writes about sex, dating, and relationships for The Advocate and Gay.net. Follow him on Twitter @HernandezJustin.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- #TBT: Halloween Exhibitionism
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men