Ed Koch Dead at 88
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 01 2013 9:50 AM ET
Ed Koch, the outspoken mayor of New York for most of the 1980s, died Friday at New York–Presbyterian Hospital of congestive heart failure. He was admitted Thursday to the intensive care unit after admitting he felt tired.
"New York City has lost an irrepressible icon," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a statement this morning.
While beloved by most, Koch, who served three mayoral terms, was recently seen in a different light in the documentary How to Survive a Plague. Dodging rumors of homosexuality, he found himself under fire during the beginning of the AIDS epidemic and was publicly criticized by Normal Heart playwright and AIDS activist Larry Kramer for not doing more to stop the spread of AIDS in New York. "He was a closeted gay man, and he did not want in any way to be associated with this," Kramer declared to New York magazine. Koch refused to address the matter. "Listen, there's no question that some New Yorkers think I'm gay, and voted for me nevertheless. The vast majority don't care, and others don't think I am. And I don't give a **** either way!" he told to New York in 1988.
His funeral will be held Monday in New York.
More details to come.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 33 min 14 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 1 hour 33 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 18 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM