Michael Savage sues Web sites
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 13 2003 11:00 PM ET
Radio and television shock jock Michael Savage is suing three Web sites for allegedly interfering in his business relationships with advertisers on The Michael Savage Show. Filed by Savage and Talk Radio Network Inc., the suit claims that Savage has suffered serious economic damage from a boycott called for by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and supported by Web sites TakeBackTheMedia.com, SavageStupidity.com, and MichaelSavageSucks.com. Since the boycott began, several sponsors have pulled their ads from Savage's radio show.
The suit claims that the defendants are suppressing Savage's freedom of speech and violating the U.S. Copyright Act by rebroadcasting his shows without permission. The suit also charges the defendants
with spreading "false and malicious" information about Savage. On his shows Savage has described gays and lesbians as "perverts." The suit, filed in district court in Illinois, asks for injunctive relief and at least $500,000 in compensatory damages and an unspecified amount in punitive damages.
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 35 min 12 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM