Michael Savage sues Web sites
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2003 12:00 AM ET
Radio and television shock jock Michael Savage is suing three Web sites for allegedly interfering in his business relationships with advertisers on The Michael Savage Show. Filed by Savage and Talk Radio Network Inc., the suit claims that Savage has suffered serious economic damage from a boycott called for by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and supported by Web sites TakeBackTheMedia.com, SavageStupidity.com, and MichaelSavageSucks.com. Since the boycott began, several sponsors have pulled their ads from Savage's radio show.
The suit claims that the defendants are suppressing Savage's freedom of speech and violating the U.S. Copyright Act by rebroadcasting his shows without permission. The suit also charges the defendants
with spreading "false and malicious" information about Savage. On his shows Savage has described gays and lesbians as "perverts." The suit, filed in district court in Illinois, asks for injunctive relief and at least $500,000 in compensatory damages and an unspecified amount in punitive damages.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Michigan Woman Sues Planet Fitness Over Trans-Inclusive Locker Room