Canadian gay activists use bizarre tactics
February 24 2004 1:00 AM ET
A civil rights group in Montreal is using pink vomit and laser-copied fake money to encourage more activism among gays and lesbians, reports the Montreal Gazette. Last week, the Pink Panthers "vomited" outside 10 businesses, and the group plans future demonstrations. "In the gay village and within the queer community in Montreal, there are no dissidents," Nathalie (who wouldn't give her real name), a founder of the 10-member group, told the newspaper. "The gay [political] strategy is very narrow-minded. They never consider other causes, like women's rights, the environment, globalization."
Last weekend's project involved "symbolic puking"--oatmeal was apparently a key ingredient--to protest against the increasing commercialization of the neighborhood, the newspaper reported. The group also distributed phony coupons--pink $20 bills featuring the face of Michel Girouard, a prominent gay celebrity, on one side, and a satirical stab at consumerism on the reverse. Reaction from the targeted stores ranged from irritation at having to clean up an oaty mess to confusion about the activists' message.
Previously, the Pink Panthers protested against a distasteful commercial being shown at the Montreal International Festival of Gay and Lesbian Film ("the ad perpetuated the stereotype of the muscular gay man," Nathalie explained) by painting pink paw prints around the outside of the theater. Before last year's Gay Pride Parade, the group inserted bogus instructions into safe-sex kits (which contain a condom and lubricant) advising people to pull the condom over their heads to protect themselves from "mental diseases caused by advertising."
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 33 min 19 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 39 min 39 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1 hour 3 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1 hour 11 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 1 hour 18 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 2 hours 1 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 hours 32 min ago