Log Cabin praises Republican convention's speakers
June 30 2004 12:00 AM ET
National gay political group Log Cabin Republicans on Tuesday praised the Republican National Convention for its choice of "inclusive, big-tent Republicans to speak in prime time at the convention in New York City." The speakers include former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, Arizona senator John McCain, California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, and New York governor George Pataki.
"These speakers represent the future of the Republican Party," said Patrick Guerriero, executive director of the Log Cabin Republicans. "These Republicans are among the leading voices for inclusion in the GOP. We applaud the RNC for showcasing leaders who have had the courage to oppose any attempt to write discrimination into our Constitution."
McCain, Giuliani, Schwarzenegger, and Pataki have all been critical of the antigay Federal Marriage Amendment. Each of the Republicans has a track record of running winning inclusive campaigns and of support for many issues critical to the gay and lesbian community.
The statement made no mention of Republican representative Jim Kolbe, the only openly gay Republican in Congress, who spoke at the 2000 GOP convention in Philadelphia.
Gay rights group National Stonewall Democrats issued a statement that was critical of the convention: "It's typical for the Republican Party to promote the 'compassionate' face of the GOP while hiding its antigay agenda and elected officials. I would much rather have these politicians writing the Republican Party platform than performing political theater on national television. The only real results that emerge from this convention will be the most antigay, antifamily ticket and platform that the GOP has ever produced," said executive director Dave Noble.
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1 hour 1 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1 hour 30 min ago
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM