Millions pack São Paulo's streets for pride parade
June 12 2007 12:00 AM ET
people packed the streets of São Paulo, Brazil, for
what organizers said was the world's largest gay pride
parade, dancing and waving rainbow flags in a
carnival-like atmosphere to condemn homophobia,
racism, and sexism.
At least 3
million people filled the canyon-like Paulista Avenue on
Sunday, organizers said, surpassing last year's count of 2.5
million. The larger count was confirmed by a police
spokesman who is not authorized to be quoted by name
under department rules.
''This is the
biggest parade on the planet,'' tourism minister Marta
Suplicy said. ''Our city is showing, once again, its respect
recent gay pride parades in New York and San Francisco
have drawn tens of thousands of people, and world gay pride
day celebrations in Berlin in 2004 attracted between
200,000 and 500,000 participants.
Nelson Matias Pereira said this year's participants are
appealing for a ''world where racism, sexism, and
homophobia, in all their forms, no longer exist.''
disco and electronic music rolled through the streets,
followed by marchers carrying banners with slogans such as
''Dignity for All'' and ''All Forms of Love Bring Us
Closer to God.''
''There is no
question the prejudice we have suffered for years has
diminished a lot,'' said one marcher, mechanic Sebastiao
Pereira Rodrigues, who was wearing black leather
shorts and a tight purple T-shirt. ''But it's still
there and we still a long way to go.'' (Stan Lehman,
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM