BY Julie Bolcer
August 28 2009 9:20 PM ET
Sí, se puede: Lawmakers in the lower house in Uruguay approved a bill that allows gay and lesbian couples to adopt children, and it appears likely to win approval in the senate and be signed by President Tabaré Vázquez.
Three fired over Texas gay bar raid: The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission fired a supervisor, an agent, and a trainee over the raid of a Fort Worth gay bar in June that left one patron seriously injured.
Crist taps replacement for Martinez: Florida governor Charlie Crist selected George LeMieux, a former aide, to serve out the remainder of the term for U.S. senator Mel Martinez, who said he would step down.
Remembering Ted Kennedy: Thousands of mourners visited the JFK Presidential Library in Dorchester, Mass., to pay their respects to Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, whose body lay there in repose.
ENDA preview: The Associated Press looks at factors that favor a successful passage of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act this year, including the addition of Diego Sanchez, a Massachusetts transgender activist, who holds a senior position in the office of Congressman Barney Frank.
"Now, that's a vampire film!" Screen legend Lauren Bacall endorses Nosferatu over Twilight.
Frontrunner? New York City civil rights attorney Yetta Kurland, who is challenging City Council speaker Christine Quinn for the seat representing the 3rd council district, recently issued a press release that declared herself the "frontrunner" in the race.
Kidnapping victim reunited with family: 29-year old Jaycee Dugard, who was forced to live in backyard sheds for nearly two decades after she was snatched from her family in California, was reunited with relatives as her alleged captors Phillip Garrido, 58, and his wife, Nancy, faced a court appearance.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 1 hour 2 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 1 hour 46 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 2 hours 4 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 2 hours 17 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 2 hours 38 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 2 hours 57 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM