BY Julie Bolcer
August 28 2009 8:20 PM ET
Sí, se puede: Lawmakers in the lower house in Uruguay approved a bill that allows gay and lesbian couples to adopt children, and it appears likely to win approval in the senate and be signed by President Tabaré Vázquez.
Three fired over Texas gay bar raid: The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission fired a supervisor, an agent, and a trainee over the raid of a Fort Worth gay bar in June that left one patron seriously injured.
Crist taps replacement for Martinez: Florida governor Charlie Crist selected George LeMieux, a former aide, to serve out the remainder of the term for U.S. senator Mel Martinez, who said he would step down.
Remembering Ted Kennedy: Thousands of mourners visited the JFK Presidential Library in Dorchester, Mass., to pay their respects to Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, whose body lay there in repose.
ENDA preview: The Associated Press looks at factors that favor a successful passage of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act this year, including the addition of Diego Sanchez, a Massachusetts transgender activist, who holds a senior position in the office of Congressman Barney Frank.
"Now, that's a vampire film!" Screen legend Lauren Bacall endorses Nosferatu over Twilight.
Frontrunner? New York City civil rights attorney Yetta Kurland, who is challenging City Council speaker Christine Quinn for the seat representing the 3rd council district, recently issued a press release that declared herself the "frontrunner" in the race.
Kidnapping victim reunited with family: 29-year old Jaycee Dugard, who was forced to live in backyard sheds for nearly two decades after she was snatched from her family in California, was reunited with relatives as her alleged captors Phillip Garrido, 58, and his wife, Nancy, faced a court appearance.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM