BY Advocate.com Editors
August 31 2009 1:25 PM ET
Mary Cheney, the lesbian daughter of former vice president Dick Cheney, has thrown her support -- to the tune of $1,000 -- behind a congressional candidate from Ohio who believes she should not be able to adopt children.
Reports The Raw Story: "As an Ohio congressman, [Rob] Portman voted yes on banning gay adoptions in the District of Columbia in 1999. He also voted in favor of a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage in 2004. Portman’s opposition to same-sex marriage is particularly salient, because both of his potential Democratic challengers favor its legalization. Ohio Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner reaffirmed her backing for gay marriage in a posting at The Huffington Post in June, and a spokesman for Ohio Lt. Gov. Lee Fisher announced that he’d reversed his opposition the same month."
The website reports that Cheney made the donation back in May. Cheney has a 2-year-old son with her partner of 17 years, Heather Poe.
Earlier this year, Dick Cheney came out in support of same-sex marriage.
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Tim Cook on Standing Up to Discrimination: 'It’s Time for All of Us'