BY Julie Bolcer
January 15 2010 10:35 AM ET
Ugandan pastor Martin Ssempa said Friday that he plans to stage a “million man” march in February to support the heinous antigay bill pending in parliament.
According to Reuters, Ssempa, who holds close ties to American evangelicals including pastor Rick Warren, positioned the march as a response to international pressure against the bill, which originally proposed the death penalty for gay people in certain instances.
Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni appeared to distance himself from the severe bill this week, and leaders have claimed the death penalty provisions were revised to life imprisonment.
"We want to give a postcard that [Museveni] can send to his friend [U.S. president] Barack Obama," Ssempa said in front of posters saying "Africans Unite Against Sodomy" and "Barack Obama Back Off". He said the march is planned for February 17, reported Reuters.
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- Ellen DeGeneres and Gap Launch New Clothing Line for Girls That Challenges Stereotypes
- Jenny Boylan Tells Caitlyn Jenner: 'Don't Be a Stupid' Woman
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Behind the Scenes of Stonewall