BY Julie Bolcer
January 15 2010 10:35 AM ET
Ugandan pastor Martin Ssempa said Friday that he plans to stage a “million man” march in February to support the heinous antigay bill pending in parliament.
According to Reuters, Ssempa, who holds close ties to American evangelicals including pastor Rick Warren, positioned the march as a response to international pressure against the bill, which originally proposed the death penalty for gay people in certain instances.
Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni appeared to distance himself from the severe bill this week, and leaders have claimed the death penalty provisions were revised to life imprisonment.
"We want to give a postcard that [Museveni] can send to his friend [U.S. president] Barack Obama," Ssempa said in front of posters saying "Africans Unite Against Sodomy" and "Barack Obama Back Off". He said the march is planned for February 17, reported Reuters.
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- WATCH: The 8 Most Hateful Things Texas Lawmakers Said Monday
- Marriage Equality Could Worsen Bisexual Erasure
- WATCH: You’ll Cry When You See What Happened During That Gay-Straight Prom Date
- Op-ed: 5 Reasons Men's Health Needs a Trans Man On The Cover