BY Julie Bolcer
January 15 2010 10:35 AM ET
Ugandan pastor Martin Ssempa said Friday that he plans to stage a “million man” march in February to support the heinous antigay bill pending in parliament.
According to Reuters, Ssempa, who holds close ties to American evangelicals including pastor Rick Warren, positioned the march as a response to international pressure against the bill, which originally proposed the death penalty for gay people in certain instances.
Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni appeared to distance himself from the severe bill this week, and leaders have claimed the death penalty provisions were revised to life imprisonment.
"We want to give a postcard that [Museveni] can send to his friend [U.S. president] Barack Obama," Ssempa said in front of posters saying "Africans Unite Against Sodomy" and "Barack Obama Back Off". He said the march is planned for February 17, reported Reuters.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Do You Hear 'Girl Men' or 'Guru Men?' 32 min 15 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM