BY Advocate.com Editors
February 23 2010 4:35 PM ET
In a high-profile same-sex parent custody case, an arrest warrant has been issued for a woman who refused to transfer custody of her 7-year-old daughter to her former partner in Vermont before disappearing.
In late January a judge in Vermont family court had given Lisa Miller of Forest, Va., 30 days to appear in court with her daughter after she had failed to turn the child over to her ex-partner, Janet Jenkins, who had been granted full custody.
In 2000 the couple joined in a civil union in the state and had a daughter, Isabella, via artificial insemination in 2002.
A year later, Miller and Jenkins ended their relationship. Miller moved to Virginia and became an evangelical Christian.
The custody dispute has attracted national attention, with Jenkins appearing on Nightline in January to tell her story. “My goal has never been to separate Isabella from her other mother, Lisa,” Jenkins said. “I just want what is best for our child, and that is to know both of her parents.”
Miller’s whereabouts have been unknown since November. In December she wrote on her Facebook page that the Vermont judge’s decision to award custody to her former partner was a “dark ruling.”
"I have been in prayer and Bible study over the matter of late and I believe that God is not finished. God is the God of the impossible: 'Nothing is impossible with God' (Luke 1:37)," Miller wrote.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 13 min 39 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 30 min 59 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 54 min 2 sec ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 5 sec ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 1 hour 56 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 2 hours 25 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 11:07 AM