Rekers Paid $60K for Gay Adoption Testimony
BY Julie Bolcer
May 07 2010 9:25 AM ET
The office of Florida attorney general Bill McCollum paid antigay activist George Rekers at least $60,000, based on a rate of $300 per hour, to testify as an “expert” witness in the court case defending the state’s comprehensive ban on adoption by gays.
According to NBC Miami, “Attorneys for McCollum paid Rekers at least $60,900 and perhaps as much as $87,000 for expert testimony in the appeal of the case. But in his testimony, Rekers claimed gays make inferior and even dangerous parents and that adopted kids living in gay households, even after 10 years, would be better off removed from the home and placed with straight parents.”
Rekers, a cofounder of the Family Research Council, is now ensnared in controversy for hiring a gay male escort to assist him on a European trip.
Miami-Dade County judge Cindy Lederman later dismissed Rekers’s testimony on the grounds that it was “far from neutral and unbiased,” reports NBC Miami. A ruling is expected any day in the case challenging the Florida law, the only one in the country that bars all gays and lesbians from adopting children.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM