Rekers Paid $60K for Gay Adoption Testimony
BY Julie Bolcer
May 07 2010 8:25 AM ET
The office of Florida attorney general Bill McCollum paid antigay activist George Rekers at least $60,000, based on a rate of $300 per hour, to testify as an “expert” witness in the court case defending the state’s comprehensive ban on adoption by gays.
According to NBC Miami, “Attorneys for McCollum paid Rekers at least $60,900 and perhaps as much as $87,000 for expert testimony in the appeal of the case. But in his testimony, Rekers claimed gays make inferior and even dangerous parents and that adopted kids living in gay households, even after 10 years, would be better off removed from the home and placed with straight parents.”
Rekers, a cofounder of the Family Research Council, is now ensnared in controversy for hiring a gay male escort to assist him on a European trip.
Miami-Dade County judge Cindy Lederman later dismissed Rekers’s testimony on the grounds that it was “far from neutral and unbiased,” reports NBC Miami. A ruling is expected any day in the case challenging the Florida law, the only one in the country that bars all gays and lesbians from adopting children.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 1 hour 55 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM