White House Condemns Malawi Ruling
BY Kerry Eleveld
May 20 2010 6:20 PM ET
The White House issued the following statement Thursday saying the United States
"strongly condemns" the conviction and 14-year sentencing of a gay
couple in Malawi.
Statement by the Press Secretary on Court Ruling in Malawi:
"The United States strongly condemns the conviction and harsh sentencing of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga in Malawi. The criminalization of sexual orientation and gender identity is unconscionable, and this case mars the human rights record of Malawi. We urge Malawi and all countries to stop using sexual orientation or gender identity as the basis for arrest, detention, or execution."
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM