White House Condemns Malawi Ruling
BY Kerry Eleveld
May 20 2010 6:20 PM ET
The White House issued the following statement Thursday saying the United States
"strongly condemns" the conviction and 14-year sentencing of a gay
couple in Malawi.
Statement by the Press Secretary on Court Ruling in Malawi:
"The United States strongly condemns the conviction and harsh sentencing of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga in Malawi. The criminalization of sexual orientation and gender identity is unconscionable, and this case mars the human rights record of Malawi. We urge Malawi and all countries to stop using sexual orientation or gender identity as the basis for arrest, detention, or execution."
- Another Event Moves; Gay Hotel Owners Apologize for Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- The Backlash
- 14 Camp Classics We Can't Stop Quoting — Bad Girls Edition
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- #TBT: Breaking the Gay Code in the Movies