White House Condemns Malawi Ruling
BY Kerry Eleveld
May 20 2010 6:20 PM ET
The White House issued the following statement Thursday saying the United States
"strongly condemns" the conviction and 14-year sentencing of a gay
couple in Malawi.
Statement by the Press Secretary on Court Ruling in Malawi:
"The United States strongly condemns the conviction and harsh sentencing of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga in Malawi. The criminalization of sexual orientation and gender identity is unconscionable, and this case mars the human rights record of Malawi. We urge Malawi and all countries to stop using sexual orientation or gender identity as the basis for arrest, detention, or execution."
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Gay Teen Explains What Bible Really Says
- San Francisco Mourns Death of Legendary Drag Performer
- Britney Spears Heartfelt Letter to Once Suicidal Gay Fan
- WATCH: Teen From Disturbing Video Explains How It Started