Trans Wheelchair User Wins IML 2010
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 01 2010 4:00 PM ET
Tyler McCormick took home the title of International Mr. Leather in Chicago Sunday, setting precedent in several ways for the 32-year-old global contest.
A female-to-male transgender man who uses a wheelchair, McCormick, who was Mr. Rio Grande of New Mexico, beat 50 other contestants for the title.
"When I first transitioned, I was told I would never be accepted and that I would never be able to take my shirt off in public," he said during the speaking round of the competition. "Standing here as a strong, confident leatherman is proof to the contrary."
McCormick also urged people to have a sense of humor about life, as he does.
"There's a reason I go by 'Leather Gimp,'" he said in a post-win interview. "You're not going to offend me if you use words that are in your heart, but if you're trying to be [politically correct], then lighten up a little."
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- WATCH: Today's Tearjerker Featuring Binational Couple With 'Missing Husband'
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM