17 Dead at Gay Party in Mexico
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 18 2010 10:30 PM ET
A party in the northern Mexican city of Torreón that was organized by a gay group on Facebook ended in a bloodbath early Sunday morning when gunmen opened fire, killing 17 men and women and injuring 18 others.
The Los Angeles Times reports it was one of the highest single-incident death tolls since the beginning of Mexico's raging drug war in 2006. President Felipe Calderon launched a military-led offensive against powerful narcotics cartels that December.
An invitation to the birthday party at the Italia Inn in Torreon was sent out by a gay group but advertised as being open to all. Authorities at the scene raised “the possibility of an anti-gay hate crime,” but suspect drug traffickers were more likely involved.
Photos from the party show “toppled white plastic chairs, scattered musical instruments and cups and plates and shoes strewn on a blood-splattered floor alongside a tented pool. Empty beer bottles were lined up on tabletops; bullet holes punctured the walls.”
Read the complete story here.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 1 hour 31 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 2 hours 25 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 2 hours 42 min ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 2 hours 50 min ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2:44 PM
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2:41 PM
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 2:07 PM