Out College Presidents Form New Group
BY Julie Bolcer
August 09 2010 9:50 AM ET
Nine out presidents of American colleges and universities met over the weekend and formed a group to encourage gay academics to seek leadership positions and to advocate for more inclusion of sexual orientation issues in diversity conversations.
According to Inside Higher Ed, the new organization is called LGBTQ Presidents in Higher Education, and members plan to meet again in a few months.
“The meeting was the first attempt to gather the growing number of out college presidents (25 were invited) — and participants said in interviews after the event that they wanted to encourage more gay academics to aspire to leadership positions and wanted to push higher education to include issues of sexual orientation when talking about diversity,” reported Inside Higher Ed. “The partners of some of the presidents also attended and held their own discussions, and the new group plans to be a place to talk about issues related to the partners and other family members of gay presidents.”
Read more here.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View