Out College Presidents Form New Group
BY Julie Bolcer
August 09 2010 9:50 AM ET
Nine out presidents of American colleges and universities met over the weekend and formed a group to encourage gay academics to seek leadership positions and to advocate for more inclusion of sexual orientation issues in diversity conversations.
According to Inside Higher Ed, the new organization is called LGBTQ Presidents in Higher Education, and members plan to meet again in a few months.
“The meeting was the first attempt to gather the growing number of out college presidents (25 were invited) — and participants said in interviews after the event that they wanted to encourage more gay academics to aspire to leadership positions and wanted to push higher education to include issues of sexual orientation when talking about diversity,” reported Inside Higher Ed. “The partners of some of the presidents also attended and held their own discussions, and the new group plans to be a place to talk about issues related to the partners and other family members of gay presidents.”
Read more here.
- Film God Loves Uganda Makes Oscar Doc Shortlist 28 min 6 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' 33 min 38 sec ago
- Here To Inspire WATCH: Hot Naked Gay Men Jello Wrestling in Sexy, NSFW HIV Testing Ad 40 min 50 sec ago
- Film How Liz Taylor Tricked Reagan Into Talking About AIDS 56 min 44 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Utah's Marriage Ban Faces Court Challenge Today 1 hour 15 min ago
- Travel Discovering the Other Baja: La Paz 1 hour 54 min ago
- Politics Dick Cheney 'Suprised' By Mary's 'Attack' Following Sister Liz's Insult to Mary's Marriage 2 hours 2 min ago