Out College Presidents Form New Group
BY Julie Bolcer
August 09 2010 10:50 AM ET
Nine out presidents of American colleges and universities met over the weekend and formed a group to encourage gay academics to seek leadership positions and to advocate for more inclusion of sexual orientation issues in diversity conversations.
According to Inside Higher Ed, the new organization is called LGBTQ Presidents in Higher Education, and members plan to meet again in a few months.
“The meeting was the first attempt to gather the growing number of out college presidents (25 were invited) — and participants said in interviews after the event that they wanted to encourage more gay academics to aspire to leadership positions and wanted to push higher education to include issues of sexual orientation when talking about diversity,” reported Inside Higher Ed. “The partners of some of the presidents also attended and held their own discussions, and the new group plans to be a place to talk about issues related to the partners and other family members of gay presidents.”
Read more here.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- WATCH: Neil Patrick Harris Explains He Got Married for His Kids
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- WATCH: Gay Inaugural Poet's Marriage Equality Tribute Will Give You Goosebumps
- Australian Trans Man Fires Back at Clerk Who Publicly 'Embarassed' Him