S Club 7's Jon Lee: I'm Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 18 2010 2:55 PM ET
Former S Club 7 singer turned actor Jon Lee has come out in an interview with the U.K.’s Gay Times.
“If someone had said, 'Are you gay?' I would have said yes, but no one ever did,” Lee said in the interview. “I’ve never felt the need to leap out of the closet singing and dancing about it. I’ve always known I was gay, from a very young age.”
In the late ’90s and early 2000s, S Club 7 was one of the biggest pop groups in the United Kingdom. Created by former Spice Girls manager Simon Fuller, the guy-girl group put out five albums in as many years and racked up a number of hits on the U.K. pop charts.
The group disbanded in 2003, and Lee went on to perform in stage productions in the U.K., including a leading role in Les Miserables. In recent years Lee has popped up in a number of independent films.
Lee, now 28, says he’s been out in his personal life since a very young age and never saw the need to come out publicly.
“If you are in the public eye I think people feel like they have a right to know, feel like they have a right to ask and that you should be completely open and honest about all these things,” he said. “And I think it depends.”
Read more of the interview here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Politics | Advocate.com
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM