Gay Parents Rule in San Antonio
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 24 2011 3:15 PM ET
More than a third of cohabiting same-sex couples in San Antonio
are raising children, making it the city with the highest percentage of gay and lesbian parents in the U.S.
New census data analyzed by the Williams Institute at the University of California, Los Angeles, shows that 34% of same-sex couples are raising children under 18 in San Antonio. Jacksonville, Fla.; Raleigh, N.C.; Las Vegas; and the area around Providence, R.I., round out the top five areas with high concentrations of gay- and lesbian-led households with children. The top 15 ranked cities to fit the criteria do not include some of America's largest cities, like New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, or Chicago. Instead, many are concentrated in the South, like Houston and Dallas, or are less populous cities like Buffalo and Rochester in upstate New York.
Gary Gates, chief researcher at the Williams Institute, said the results show that gays and lesbians are more diverse than the stereotype of the white, affluent, urban male.
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- WATCH: Daily Show Correspondent Takes on Antigay Ark. Pastor
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- WATCH: A Straight Wedding Morphs Into a Gay Proposal