Gay Parents Rule in San Antonio
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 24 2011 3:15 PM ET
More than a third of cohabiting same-sex couples in San Antonio
are raising children, making it the city with the highest percentage of gay and lesbian parents in the U.S.
New census data analyzed by the Williams Institute at the University of California, Los Angeles, shows that 34% of same-sex couples are raising children under 18 in San Antonio. Jacksonville, Fla.; Raleigh, N.C.; Las Vegas; and the area around Providence, R.I., round out the top five areas with high concentrations of gay- and lesbian-led households with children. The top 15 ranked cities to fit the criteria do not include some of America's largest cities, like New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, or Chicago. Instead, many are concentrated in the South, like Houston and Dallas, or are less populous cities like Buffalo and Rochester in upstate New York.
Gary Gates, chief researcher at the Williams Institute, said the results show that gays and lesbians are more diverse than the stereotype of the white, affluent, urban male.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- The World Is Finally Ready For the Lost Recordings of '70s Gay Rockers Smokey
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride