"Barbarians" Raid Marcus Bachmann's Office
BY Lucas Grindley
July 21 2011 4:35 PM ET
A group of glitter-wielding "barbarians" showed up this morning at one of Marcus Bachmann's Christian counseling clinics and asked for his special form of help.
"We came to see Marcus. We need to be disciplined," members of the group told a woman who met them in the lobby. But she wasn't amused, not even by their barbaric headbands and leopard-print outfits.
"I'm sorry, but I do need to ask you to leave," the woman answers in a video clip of the protest. "This is a private business."
With that, the rowdy band of misfits glitter-bombed the office and then marched out.
"You can't pray away the gay, baby, I was born this way!" they chanted.
Marcus Bachmann, husband of Congress member and presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann, has offered so-called reparative therapy — aimed at turning gays straight — at his clinics, and he's said gays are "barbarians" who need to be "educated" and "disciplined."
“We have to understand: Barbarians need to be educated,” Bachmann says in a now-infamous audio clip. “They need to be disciplined. Just because someone feels it or thinks it doesn’t mean that we are supposed to go down that road. That’s what is called the sinful nature."
The group was led by Nick Espinosa, an activist who previously glitter-bombed Newt Gingrich to draw attention to the Republican presidential candidate's opposition to gay rights. Other glitter-bombings have followed, targeting Michele Bachmann and Tim Pawlenty.
“Michele and Marcus Bachmann think gay people are barbarians?” asked Espinosa. “I think it’s clear to everyone who the real barbarians are, based on the Bachmanns’ archaic views on LGBT equality.”
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 12 min 23 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 26 min 16 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 28 min 56 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 40 min 45 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel These Grooms Met Because of a Big Blue Dog 44 min 17 sec ago
- Crime Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City 46 min 51 sec ago
- Women Evan Rachel Wood, Anne Rice, Join Calls to 'Save Kate' 49 min 26 sec ago