Lesbian Couple Save 40 From Norwegian Shooter
BY Michelle Garcia
July 27 2011 12:00 PM ET
A lesbian couple dodged bullets to save as many as 40 people who became the target of the shooter in Norway, who is being detained for killing at least 76 people on Friday.
Hege Dalen and her partner, Toril Hansen, were having dinner at a campsite opposite Utöyan Island when they heard screaming and gunshots coming from the island. The couple hopped in their boat and drove across the water, picking up groups of fleeing young people, according to Finnish news site HS.fi.
Because they could not help all of the people at once, the couple made four trips and were able to rescue an estimated 40 people as bullets hit the side of their boat.
"We did not sleep last night at all," Dalen said in a translated version of the article.
Anders Behring Breivik's shooting attack on Utöyan, killing 68, followed a bombing in Oslo that resulted in the death of eight people, CNN reports. Breivik is being identified as a right-wing extremist who objects to the increasing presence of Islamic culture in Europe.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 32 min 51 sec ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 1 hour 34 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM