YouTube: Gay Airman Comes Out to His Dad
BY Michelle Garcia
September 20 2011 1:00 PM ET
A young gay airman who had been slowly chronicling his coming out process while serving overseas celebrated the first day of the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" by coming out to his YouTube followers — and his father.
Going by the username, AreYouSurprised, he called his father in Alabama to come out to him. After a few moments, and making his father promise that he would love him unconditionally, the airman said, "Dad, I'm gay."
"Gay?" his father said.
"I always have been, and I've known since forever," he replied.
His father said he would still love his son, no matter what.
The airman admitted after a moment, "I've been working myself up, sitting here with the phone in my hand for four hours," he said.
Check out some of his earlier videos here, and watch the latest post below:
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 1 min 21 sec ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 7 min 42 sec ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 11 min 13 sec ago
- Books Lambda Literary Awards: Leavitt, Bianchi, Winterson Nominated 19 min 16 sec ago
- Women 19 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Saskia de Brauw 35 min 54 sec ago
- Television Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower 37 min 6 sec ago
- Travel WATCH: Jeff Koons, John Waters Discuss Art 49 min 40 sec ago