YouTube: Gay Airman Comes Out to His Dad
BY Michelle Garcia
September 20 2011 2:00 PM ET
A young gay airman who had been slowly chronicling his coming out process while serving overseas celebrated the first day of the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" by coming out to his YouTube followers — and his father.
Going by the username, AreYouSurprised, he called his father in Alabama to come out to him. After a few moments, and making his father promise that he would love him unconditionally, the airman said, "Dad, I'm gay."
"Gay?" his father said.
"I always have been, and I've known since forever," he replied.
His father said he would still love his son, no matter what.
The airman admitted after a moment, "I've been working myself up, sitting here with the phone in my hand for four hours," he said.
Check out some of his earlier videos here, and watch the latest post below:
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM