YouTube: Gay Airman Comes Out to His Dad
BY Michelle Garcia
September 20 2011 2:00 PM ET
A young gay airman who had been slowly chronicling his coming out process while serving overseas celebrated the first day of the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" by coming out to his YouTube followers — and his father.
Going by the username, AreYouSurprised, he called his father in Alabama to come out to him. After a few moments, and making his father promise that he would love him unconditionally, the airman said, "Dad, I'm gay."
"Gay?" his father said.
"I always have been, and I've known since forever," he replied.
His father said he would still love his son, no matter what.
The airman admitted after a moment, "I've been working myself up, sitting here with the phone in my hand for four hours," he said.
Check out some of his earlier videos here, and watch the latest post below:
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 2 hours 5 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 2 hours 34 min ago
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM