YouTube: Gay Airman Comes Out to His Dad
BY Michelle Garcia
September 20 2011 1:00 PM ET
A young gay airman who had been slowly chronicling his coming out process while serving overseas celebrated the first day of the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" by coming out to his YouTube followers — and his father.
Going by the username, AreYouSurprised, he called his father in Alabama to come out to him. After a few moments, and making his father promise that he would love him unconditionally, the airman said, "Dad, I'm gay."
"Gay?" his father said.
"I always have been, and I've known since forever," he replied.
His father said he would still love his son, no matter what.
The airman admitted after a moment, "I've been working myself up, sitting here with the phone in my hand for four hours," he said.
Check out some of his earlier videos here, and watch the latest post below:
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment