YouTube: Gay Airman Comes Out to His Dad
BY Michelle Garcia
September 20 2011 1:00 PM ET
A young gay airman who had been slowly chronicling his coming out process while serving overseas celebrated the first day of the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" by coming out to his YouTube followers — and his father.
Going by the username, AreYouSurprised, he called his father in Alabama to come out to him. After a few moments, and making his father promise that he would love him unconditionally, the airman said, "Dad, I'm gay."
"Gay?" his father said.
"I always have been, and I've known since forever," he replied.
His father said he would still love his son, no matter what.
The airman admitted after a moment, "I've been working myself up, sitting here with the phone in my hand for four hours," he said.
Check out some of his earlier videos here, and watch the latest post below:
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 14 min 3 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 22 min 8 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 24 min 43 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 32 min 51 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 52 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 57 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 2 hours 3 min ago