Wal-Mart Adds Trans Protections for Employees
BY Neal Broverman
September 28 2011 9:00 PM ET
Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart has added gender identity to their list of protected categories for employees.
Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, already has protections for LGB employees. The additional transgender protections were praised by the Human Rights Campaign.
“What matters in the workplace is how you do your job, not your gender identity or sexual orientation,” HRC President Joe Solmonese said in a press release. “As the nation’s largest private employer, Wal-Mart shows that doing the right thing is also good for business. We urge them to continue to move forward by ensuring all of their LGBT employees receive equal benefits.”
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community