Wal-Mart Adds Trans Protections for Employees
BY Neal Broverman
September 28 2011 9:00 PM ET
Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart has added gender identity to their list of protected categories for employees.
Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, already has protections for LGB employees. The additional transgender protections were praised by the Human Rights Campaign.
“What matters in the workplace is how you do your job, not your gender identity or sexual orientation,” HRC President Joe Solmonese said in a press release. “As the nation’s largest private employer, Wal-Mart shows that doing the right thing is also good for business. We urge them to continue to move forward by ensuring all of their LGBT employees receive equal benefits.”
- WATCH: Kentucky Clerk Defies Court Again, Turns Away Same-Sex Couple a Third Time
- Trayvon Martin Killer George Zimmerman Proves He's a Racist Homophobe
- TBT: Mid-Century Dreamboats
- Denied: Antigay Kentucky Clerk Loses in Federal Court Again
- We Made Lily Tomlin Cry
- U.S. Marine Claims 'Trans Panic' in Murder of Trans Filipina Jennifer Laude