Wal-Mart Adds Trans Protections for Employees
BY Neal Broverman
September 28 2011 9:00 PM ET
Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart has added gender identity to their list of protected categories for employees.
Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, already has protections for LGB employees. The additional transgender protections were praised by the Human Rights Campaign.
“What matters in the workplace is how you do your job, not your gender identity or sexual orientation,” HRC President Joe Solmonese said in a press release. “As the nation’s largest private employer, Wal-Mart shows that doing the right thing is also good for business. We urge them to continue to move forward by ensuring all of their LGBT employees receive equal benefits.”
- Laverne Cox Distances Herself From Controversial Trans Inmate
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- The Hidden Message In Supreme Court's Recent Marriage Rulings
- 13 LGBT Roles That Didn't Kill These A-List Actors' Careers
- Slate's Dear Prudence Tells Bisexual Reader to Stay Closeted