Wal-Mart Adds Trans Protections for Employees
BY Neal Broverman
September 28 2011 9:00 PM ET
Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart has added gender identity to their list of protected categories for employees.
Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, already has protections for LGB employees. The additional transgender protections were praised by the Human Rights Campaign.
“What matters in the workplace is how you do your job, not your gender identity or sexual orientation,” HRC President Joe Solmonese said in a press release. “As the nation’s largest private employer, Wal-Mart shows that doing the right thing is also good for business. We urge them to continue to move forward by ensuring all of their LGBT employees receive equal benefits.”
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf