NOM Blames Trans Son for Republican Backing Repeal
BY Lucas Grindley
October 12 2011 8:45 PM ET
The National Organization for Marriage has a theory on why a Republican would support repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act.
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, who had voted in favor of the law in 1996, became the first Republican cosponsor of the repeal bill in an announcement last month. Her move followed a history of pro-gay stances that include votes in favor of repealing "don't ask, don't tell" both in 2005 and last year, opposition to a bill to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban same-sex marriage in 2006, and vocal opposition to a ban in her home state in 2008.
Despite that track record, Brian Brown, NOM's president, tried to explain away her opposition to DOMA in a tweet this morning that noted Ros-Lehtinen has a transgender son named Rodrigo (even though Brown referred to Rodrigo as the congresswoman's daughter).
"Transgendered daughter of marriage flip-flopper Rep. Ros-Lehtinen played part in decision to abandon DOMA?" he asked this morning.
He linked to a post about conservatives in her district attacking Ros-Lehtinen, with locals saying "this isn’t what they signed up for."
Ros-Lehtinen has said in the past, even before Rodrigo came out as a transgender man during college, that she learned a lot about gay rights from her children.
"They think of it as a Neanderthal way of thinking not to accept someone because of their sexual orientation," Ros-Lehtinen told The Miami Herald in 2003. "My kids just say, 'So and so is gay.' It's like, 'He likes chocolate ice cream.' It's a total mind shift among generations. ... As new generations raise up, a lot of taboos will be laid to rest."
Rodrigo Lehtinen worked in February as a trainer at the National Conference on LGBT Equality, better known as the "Creating Change" conference, and has been a field organizer for the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- TV Mastermind Jane Espenson: From to to Evil Queens
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's Drag Royalty
- Op-ed: Intersex, the Final Coming-Out Frontier
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 35 min 20 sec ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM