More Than Half of Women Attracted to Other Women
BY Michelle Garcia
October 20 2011 6:56 PM ET
Lesbian, bi, and straight women all tend to fantasize about getting it on with each other, a new study shows.
Sixty percent of college-age women say that they still have felt some level of attraction toward other women, according to research from Boise State University in Idaho.
The study evaluated 484 college students with a range of sexual orientations, according to Elizabeth Morgan, a Boise State psychology professor. Among the participants, 45% report that they had kissed a woman, and half said they fantasize about other women.
"Women are encouraged to be emotionally close to each other," Morgan said in the Daily Mail (U.K.). "That provides an opportunity for intimacy and romantic feelings to develop."
Additionally, 19% of college-age men in the same group said they had kissed another man, 21% fantasize about men, and 15% report at least some sexual attraction to men.
Morgan told The Advocate that the studies were based on a scale similar to that of the Kinsey scale, where a person identifies to a more precise degree of heterosexuality or homosexuality.
For comparison, another study of 1,277 college students who only identified as heterosexual reported that 26% of those women and 12% of men report same-sex attraction. In the same study, 37% of women and 15% of men said they've had a sexual experience with someone of the same gender.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM