More Than Half of Women Attracted to Other Women
BY Michelle Garcia
October 20 2011 6:56 PM ET
Lesbian, bi, and straight women all tend to fantasize about getting it on with each other, a new study shows.
Sixty percent of college-age women say that they still have felt some level of attraction toward other women, according to research from Boise State University in Idaho.
The study evaluated 484 college students with a range of sexual orientations, according to Elizabeth Morgan, a Boise State psychology professor. Among the participants, 45% report that they had kissed a woman, and half said they fantasize about other women.
"Women are encouraged to be emotionally close to each other," Morgan said in the Daily Mail (U.K.). "That provides an opportunity for intimacy and romantic feelings to develop."
Additionally, 19% of college-age men in the same group said they had kissed another man, 21% fantasize about men, and 15% report at least some sexual attraction to men.
Morgan told The Advocate that the studies were based on a scale similar to that of the Kinsey scale, where a person identifies to a more precise degree of heterosexuality or homosexuality.
For comparison, another study of 1,277 college students who only identified as heterosexual reported that 26% of those women and 12% of men report same-sex attraction. In the same study, 37% of women and 15% of men said they've had a sexual experience with someone of the same gender.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 1 hour 10 min ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 1 hour 46 min ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 2 hours 14 min ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM