More Than Half of Women Attracted to Other Women
BY Michelle Garcia
October 20 2011 5:56 PM ET
Lesbian, bi, and straight women all tend to fantasize about getting it on with each other, a new study shows.
Sixty percent of college-age women say that they still have felt some level of attraction toward other women, according to research from Boise State University in Idaho.
The study evaluated 484 college students with a range of sexual orientations, according to Elizabeth Morgan, a Boise State psychology professor. Among the participants, 45% report that they had kissed a woman, and half said they fantasize about other women.
"Women are encouraged to be emotionally close to each other," Morgan said in the Daily Mail (U.K.). "That provides an opportunity for intimacy and romantic feelings to develop."
Additionally, 19% of college-age men in the same group said they had kissed another man, 21% fantasize about men, and 15% report at least some sexual attraction to men.
Morgan told The Advocate that the studies were based on a scale similar to that of the Kinsey scale, where a person identifies to a more precise degree of heterosexuality or homosexuality.
For comparison, another study of 1,277 college students who only identified as heterosexual reported that 26% of those women and 12% of men report same-sex attraction. In the same study, 37% of women and 15% of men said they've had a sexual experience with someone of the same gender.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Why God Loves Uganda Should Win That Oscar
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM