Report: Fox News Ignores Bullying
BY Neal Broverman
October 31 2011 1:10 PM ET
Fox News consistently ignores stories like that of Jamey Rodemeyer, a bullied gay teen who recently committed suicide, but spends ample airtime on segments attacking anti-bullying efforts, according to a report from Media Matters.
The cable news network devoted only one segment to Rodemeyer's death; CNN and MSNBC did numerous stories on the teen and the larger issue of anti-LGBT bullying in America's schools. While Fox News largely avoided the Rodemeyer story, they did five negative pieces on New Jersey's new anti-bullying law, painting it as overreaching. California's new FAIR law, which mandates the teaching of LGBT historical accomplishments, was largely drafted in response to the bullying epidemic. Fox News has repeatedly ripped the FAIR Act to pieces, according to Media Matters. Also, in September and October, Fox News devoted nine pieces "lamenting" an anti-discrimination policy at Vanderbilt University.
Fox News shows their bias, according to Media Matters, by giving almost no airtime to New York's first same-sex marriages, as well as the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Read more on the report here. Fox News is part of the News Corporation owned by Rupert Murdoch. Earlier this month, the media titan was greeted by protesters and taken to task at a shareholder meeting in Los Angeles for News Corp.'s connections to a wire-tapping scandal at the defunct News of the World tabloid.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 8 min 10 sec ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 14 min 30 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Taylor Schilling and Lizzy Caplan in Variety Roundtable 19 min 15 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Abortionists, Married Gays Leading 'War on Christmas' 1 hour 6 min ago
- World News Israel's President, Shimon Peres, Backs Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 7 min ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: Davey Wavey Does Acceptance One Better 1 hour 34 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Charged with Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 56 min ago