WATCH: Clay Aiken Speaks Out Against Marriage Ban
BY Jeremy Kinser
February 15 2012 8:39 PM ET
Entertainer Clay Aiken is speaking out against North Carolina's proposed Amendment 1, which will ban same-sex marriage, saying it will hurt children by potentially taking away their health care.
Aiken, who came out publicly as gay in 2008 and lives in North Carolina with his 3-year-old son, says the amendment goes too far, changing the state's constitution to deny recognition to any union other than a heterosexual marriage.
"No matter what we might want a family to look like we can't put into a constitution a document that's supposed to protect our rights," Aiken says in the video.
"It will take away protection from kids who right now may have health care because one of their parents has health care at work," he adds.
The North Carolina Same-Sex Marriage Amendment will appear on the May 8 election ballot. To donate to ProtectNCFamilies and help fight the amendment, go here.
Watch Aiken speak against it below.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 46 min 35 sec ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 1 hour 45 min ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 2 hours 46 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM