WATCH: Clay Aiken Speaks Out Against Marriage Ban
BY Jeremy Kinser
February 15 2012 8:39 PM ET
Entertainer Clay Aiken is speaking out against North Carolina's proposed Amendment 1, which will ban same-sex marriage, saying it will hurt children by potentially taking away their health care.
Aiken, who came out publicly as gay in 2008 and lives in North Carolina with his 3-year-old son, says the amendment goes too far, changing the state's constitution to deny recognition to any union other than a heterosexual marriage.
"No matter what we might want a family to look like we can't put into a constitution a document that's supposed to protect our rights," Aiken says in the video.
"It will take away protection from kids who right now may have health care because one of their parents has health care at work," he adds.
The North Carolina Same-Sex Marriage Amendment will appear on the May 8 election ballot. To donate to ProtectNCFamilies and help fight the amendment, go here.
Watch Aiken speak against it below.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- President Obama Has Not Called for LGBT National Holiday
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: S.C. Senator Uses Confederate Flag Debate to Deliver Antigay Rant
- Hillary Clinton's Kind Words to Gay Kid 'Afraid' for His Future
- PHOTOS: Big Gay Weddings Across Texas