Gay Mormon Man’s Suicide Points Up Tensions
BY Trudy Ring
March 23 2012 3:55 PM ET
As friends mourn the death of Chris Wayne Beers, a gay man and former Mormon missionary and church employee who took his own life Sunday, some are noting tensions between LGBT people and the church, which opposes gay relationships.
Utah native Beers, 38, had worked in the missionary and travel departments for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to a Web posting by Affirmation, a group working for LGBT equality within the LDS church. At the time of his death he was employed by the University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City.
Mitch Mayne, a gay man who serves as executive secretary of the church’s Bay Ward in San Francisco, commented on Beers’s death in a Facebook posting. He did not know Beers but had been in contact with a friend of his, he noted, before saying, “While struggles with his faith may not have been the direct reason he took his own life, I’m hard pressed to imagine that there isn’t an indirect cause, at least. If we, as Mormons, did what we were supposed to do for all of our brothers and sisters — love them unconditionally — Chris would never have been stripped of his family of faith. He would not have been forced to choose. He would have had a deeper, richer and more spiritual support network to walk him through what life brought his way. Sadly, like many, he was given the ‘Sophie’s Choice:’ live life according to a heterocentric cultural practice and do so alone, without a partner — or live life without your family of faith and the strength of that spiritual community.”
Services for Beers are scheduled for tomorrow in Bountiful, Utah. A memorial website has been set up at ChrisBeers.blogspot.com.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 34 min 56 sec ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 38 min 20 sec ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 46 min 53 sec ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 1 hour 1 min ago
- Politics This Man Wants to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu' 1 hour 15 min ago
- Music WATCH: 'Guess What?' Cazwell's New Video Is Hot! 1 hour 22 min ago
- Entertainment News Watch: Fox News' Most Anti-Trans Comments 1 hour 23 min ago