Photographer Uses Camera to Fight Back After Gay-Bashing
BY Lucas Grindley
April 02 2012 8:19 PM ET
Art photographer Iannis Delatolas says he was gay-bashed at a Brooklyn, N.Y., bar while dozens of onlookers did nothing to help.
Delatolas told the story to Michael Musto of The Village Voice. He said he took his dog, Tulip, to Mission Dolores, a hipster bar in Brooklyn, where a "frat boy" in his 20s cut in line in front of him.
"I told him to wait his turn and he mouthed off some 'fuck you, you fucking queer,'" Delatolas remembers. "I had some loud words with him, and he took his beer and left. I was shaken, I go there all the time, I never thought this would happen there."
A security guard asked the man to leave, and that, Delatolas tells Musto, is when the shouting match really began. One of the man's friends, he said, suddenly attacked and punched him nearly a dozen times before the security guard could stop it. After all that, the moment Delatolas says haunts him is when he asked for help.
"I get up in a daze," he tells the Voice. "I ask for a witness as I am dialing 911. The courtyard is packed with about 30 mostly white hipsters. No one comes forward."
Delatolas shot the self-portrait you see here the next day and says it's "helped me take back my dignity, it was my way of fighting back."
Learn more about Delatolas's art on his website.
Read the complete first-person account as told to Musto.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 24 min 3 sec ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 31 min 58 sec ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM