EA Games Will Not Edit Content
BY Josh Hinkle
April 06 2012 7:07 PM ET
Over the past few weeks, Electronic Arts has been flooded with letters and emails protesting LGBT content in some of its most popular games.
In more recent EA games like Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic, the player is given the option to lead same-sex relationships. Upon release of these games, the Florida Family Association and the Family Research Council spawned a letter writing initiative. In a statement, Tony Perkins, leader of the Family Research Council, said, "In a new Star Wars game, the biggest threat to the empire may be the homosexual activists."
EA's vice-president of corporate communications told Games Industry International, "Every one of EA's games includes ESRB content descriptors so it's hard to believe anyone is surprised by the content. This isn't about protecting children, it's about political harassment." Letters have been directed to executives of the gaming company with the writers threatening to boycott the games published by the company if they do not remove LGBT content.
Matt Kane, GLAAD's associate director of entertainment media believes this campaign will fall off like most others. Kane told Games Industry International, "Anti-LGBT campaigns are falling into a pretty consistent pattern these days, in which messages of hate directed at our allies are met with an overwhelming outpouring of support for our allies in response."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 27 min 2 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 52 min 27 sec ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 1 hour 26 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM