Photos: Small Town Mourns Man Who Was Beaten, Set on Fire
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 27 2011 8:00 PM ET
The small town of Cumnock in Scotland today mourned Stuart Walker, a
28-year-old gay barman who was beaten to death and his body lit on fire
on a street corner late at night.
Reporters that headed to the
town after the horrific murder in October described a place where
residents were regularly moved to tears and outrage at the loss. And so
hundreds showed up at a local church for his funeral.
not prosecuting the crime as being motivated by Walker's sexual
orientation, although that was a possibility on everyone's mind early
on. Even with the arrest of Ryan Esquierdo, 18, for killing the barman, few details about what might have happened have emerged. — Lucas Grindley
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- New ABC Talker Laura Ingraham Has Antigay Record
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College
- WATCH: Ala. Woman Charged With Murder of Son's Boyfriend
- WATCH: Sprint Sends Customer Email to 'Gay Sissyboy'