U.K. Producer Behind Gay Play in Uganda Now Out of Jail
BY Neal Broverman
September 17 2012 1:52 PM ET
The British producer behind The River and the Mountain, a play recently staged in Uganda featuring a sympathetic gay protagonist, is now out of jail in the African nation — but he can't leave Uganda until his case his decided by a judge.
Officials tossed David Cecil in prison because they say he violated the Uganda Media Council by staging his play last month; the nation has strict rules against homosexuality and recently considered condemning certain gay people to death. The River and the Mountain was ultimately shut down.
A magistrate released Cecil on Monday after he posted bail. He will next head to court on October 18.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples