U.K. Producer Behind Gay Play in Uganda Now Out of Jail
BY Neal Broverman
September 17 2012 1:52 PM ET
The British producer behind The River and the Mountain, a play recently staged in Uganda featuring a sympathetic gay protagonist, is now out of jail in the African nation — but he can't leave Uganda until his case his decided by a judge.
Officials tossed David Cecil in prison because they say he violated the Uganda Media Council by staging his play last month; the nation has strict rules against homosexuality and recently considered condemning certain gay people to death. The River and the Mountain was ultimately shut down.
A magistrate released Cecil on Monday after he posted bail. He will next head to court on October 18.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- World Record Bodybuilder Comes Out as Trans
- WATCH: CIA Contractor Details Antigay Harassment by Colleagues in War Zone
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series