U.K. Producer Behind Gay Play in Uganda Now Out of Jail
BY Neal Broverman
September 17 2012 1:52 PM ET
The British producer behind The River and the Mountain, a play recently staged in Uganda featuring a sympathetic gay protagonist, is now out of jail in the African nation — but he can't leave Uganda until his case his decided by a judge.
Officials tossed David Cecil in prison because they say he violated the Uganda Media Council by staging his play last month; the nation has strict rules against homosexuality and recently considered condemning certain gay people to death. The River and the Mountain was ultimately shut down.
A magistrate released Cecil on Monday after he posted bail. He will next head to court on October 18.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: 22 Reasons Queer History Is Important
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality