U.K. Producer Behind Gay Play in Uganda Now Out of Jail
BY Neal Broverman
September 17 2012 12:52 PM ET
The British producer behind The River and the Mountain, a play recently staged in Uganda featuring a sympathetic gay protagonist, is now out of jail in the African nation — but he can't leave Uganda until his case his decided by a judge.
Officials tossed David Cecil in prison because they say he violated the Uganda Media Council by staging his play last month; the nation has strict rules against homosexuality and recently considered condemning certain gay people to death. The River and the Mountain was ultimately shut down.
A magistrate released Cecil on Monday after he posted bail. He will next head to court on October 18.
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts 59 min 38 sec ago
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies 2 hours 1 min ago
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013 5:00 AM
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM