U.K. Producer Behind Gay Play in Uganda Now Out of Jail
BY Neal Broverman
September 17 2012 12:52 PM ET
The British producer behind The River and the Mountain, a play recently staged in Uganda featuring a sympathetic gay protagonist, is now out of jail in the African nation — but he can't leave Uganda until his case his decided by a judge.
Officials tossed David Cecil in prison because they say he violated the Uganda Media Council by staging his play last month; the nation has strict rules against homosexuality and recently considered condemning certain gay people to death. The River and the Mountain was ultimately shut down.
A magistrate released Cecil on Monday after he posted bail. He will next head to court on October 18.
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 52 sec ago
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC March 06 2014 5:12 PM