Gay Somali Teen Stoned to Death, Village Forced to Watch
BY Michelle Garcia
March 20 2013 11:04 AM ET
A gay teenager in Somalia was reportedly stoned to death as punishment for being gay by Islamic rebels while villagers were forced to watch.
According to Identity Kenya, Mohamed Ali Baashi, 18 was buried in the ground up to his chest, and assaulted with rocks Friday in Barawe, about 50 miles from Somalia's capital, Mogadishu. The group reportedly tied to the murderous attack was Al Shabaab, which is linked to Al Qaeda.
Baashi was charged with sodomy along with another man, who had also been charged with murder. They both admitted to their crimes, and the man who admitted to murder was sentenced by a judge to be shot to death. However, Baashi was stoned to death because of his sexual act.
"We investigated, and this man did what Muslims shouldn't do and as a result, he will be stoned to death and the one that killed someone will be shot because homosexuality is more punishable in Islam," the judge is alleged to have said.
Towleroad has more information and photos from the stoning. (Warning: The photos featured are graphic depictions of violence).
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Will Florida Arrest Clerks for Marrying Gay Couples?
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment