Gay Somali Teen Stoned to Death, Village Forced to Watch
BY Michelle Garcia
March 20 2013 12:04 PM ET
A gay teenager in Somalia was reportedly stoned to death as punishment for being gay by Islamic rebels while villagers were forced to watch.
According to Identity Kenya, Mohamed Ali Baashi, 18 was buried in the ground up to his chest, and assaulted with rocks Friday in Barawe, about 50 miles from Somalia's capital, Mogadishu. The group reportedly tied to the murderous attack was Al Shabaab, which is linked to Al Qaeda.
Baashi was charged with sodomy along with another man, who had also been charged with murder. They both admitted to their crimes, and the man who admitted to murder was sentenced by a judge to be shot to death. However, Baashi was stoned to death because of his sexual act.
"We investigated, and this man did what Muslims shouldn't do and as a result, he will be stoned to death and the one that killed someone will be shot because homosexuality is more punishable in Islam," the judge is alleged to have said.
Towleroad has more information and photos from the stoning. (Warning: The photos featured are graphic depictions of violence).
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers