Chile: Gay Teen's Leg Must Be Amputated After Brutal Attack
BY Michelle Garcia
July 10 2013 1:42 PM ET
A gay teenager who was brutally beaten by a group of men in Chile will have to undergo surgery to amputate his leg.
Estaban Navarro, 19, was attacked by a group of six men armed with machetes, knives, and iron bars, as they yelled antigay epithets. The attack occurred on June 23 on a soccer field in Peñalonén. Navarro's foot was amputated after being rushed to the emergency room, but now it looks like doctors will have to remove his leg up to the knee because it was infected with gangrene, according to the Santiago Times.
"We are very sad and concerned," the family said in a statement issued by Movilh (Movement for Homosexual Integration and Liberation), according to the San Diego Gay and Lesbian News. "[We] Expect that here there is justice and punish those responsible to the fullest extent of the law. Esteban's life has changed dramatically in a homophobic attack."
Chile passed an antidiscrimination law last year, but Rolando Jiménez of Movilh says the law is not enough.
“A law by itself will not lower homophobia or violence,” Jiménez said in the Times. “In the long run, we need cultural change. Laws alone will not solve the problem of violence.”
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 1 hour 31 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM