Russia Schedules Debate to Remove Children From Gay Parents
BY Michelle Garcia
October 02 2013 1:29 PM ET
The Russian government has scheduled a vote on a bill that would remove children from the custody of their gay parents. Alexi Zhuravlyov's bill would classify homosexuality similarly to alcoholism, abuse, and violence, making it a reason to remove a child from a parent's custody.
The law will be under consideration this February, Gay Star News reports. Though the specific date was not included in the report, the debate may coincide with the 2014 Winter Olympics scheduled for Sochi, Russia, February 7-23.
The bill's supporting language largely cites American researcher Mark Regnerus, whose study on LGBT parents has been widely discredited.
In September, Zhuravlyov said he introduced this legislation after he saw a man in his hometown, Voronezh, who was given custody of his children after he came out as gay. He said the government would not hunt for LGBT people but would only target activists who speak out for LGBT rights and expression.
"We simply aim to position the law so that it is on the side of the child, because children should not be exposed to propaganda by parents [who] profess it," he added.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- The Daily Show's Gaywatch, Feat. Ian McKellen, Rick Santorum, and Cardinal Dolan
- Travel Discovering the Other Baja: La Paz 17 min 8 sec ago
- Politics Dick Cheney 'Suprised' By Mary's 'Attack' Following Sister Liz's Insult to Mary's Marriage 24 min 47 sec ago
- Entertainment News Knockout Game: Don Lemon Manhandled By Black Belt Rabbi on CNN 1 hour 15 min ago
- Travel An American in Dublin: Exploring Gay Life Over the Rainbow 1 hour 35 min ago
- Parenting Israel Set to Grant Gay Men Adoption Tax Benefits 1 hour 47 min ago
- Sports Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team 1 hour 48 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Trans Game Designer Is Bringing Diversity to Digital Realm 7:00 AM