Russia Schedules Debate to Remove Children From Gay Parents
BY Michelle Garcia
October 02 2013 1:29 PM ET
The Russian government has scheduled a vote on a bill that would remove children from the custody of their gay parents. Alexi Zhuravlyov's bill would classify homosexuality similarly to alcoholism, abuse, and violence, making it a reason to remove a child from a parent's custody.
The law will be under consideration this February, Gay Star News reports. Though the specific date was not included in the report, the debate may coincide with the 2014 Winter Olympics scheduled for Sochi, Russia, February 7-23.
The bill's supporting language largely cites American researcher Mark Regnerus, whose study on LGBT parents has been widely discredited.
In September, Zhuravlyov said he introduced this legislation after he saw a man in his hometown, Voronezh, who was given custody of his children after he came out as gay. He said the government would not hunt for LGBT people but would only target activists who speak out for LGBT rights and expression.
"We simply aim to position the law so that it is on the side of the child, because children should not be exposed to propaganda by parents [who] profess it," he added.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM