Lieberman, Collins Domestic Partnership Bill Moves Forward
BY Neal Broverman
May 16 2012 11:38 AM ET
A bill to extend benefits to same-sex domestic partners of federal civilian employees cleared an early hurdle in the Senate on Wednesday.
The Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligations Act, sponsored by senators Joe Lieberman and Susan Collins, was approved by the Senate's Homeland Security and Government Affairs committee. If it makes its way long way to the president and is signed, the legislation would provide the same benefits that married heterosexual spouses receive, such as participation in some retirement programs, life and health insurance benefits, and family and medical leave.
Human Rights Campaign president Joe Solmonese said the government should follow most of corporate America, which already offers such benefits. "Equal workplace policies, like those DPBO would enact, will help attract and retain the best and brightest talent, which is exactly what our federal workforce needs," Solmonese said in a statement. "We call on the full Senate to pass DPBO."
The bill would have a tough time clearing the GOP-controlled House.
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Do New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Detainees?
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 20 min 42 sec ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM